Sunday, 20 October 2013

I knew it was my last day there !


Lying there, on the battle-ground,
Clutching my blooded leg in one hand,
And a grenade in the other,
It was all I had.

Fighting through the fading vision,
And stopping myself from screaming,
Due to the unbearable pain,
I realized, it will soon be over.

I could hear bullets swishing past,
And I could hear them tearing away human flesh,
My friends crying in excruciating pain,
As I lay there helpless.

I had my duties unfinished,
These intruders shall not pass through,
Till the moment I breathe,
“It’s my country, and you don’t belong here.”

I unpinned the grenade,
And closed my eyes,
On this vast, rocky, barren field,
I knew it was my last day there.

22 comments:

  1. I salute the brave and the patriotic soldier. It is because of the brave soldiers who defend our borders that we can stay in peace. Wish our ministers learn a lesson from this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i respect that sentiment and i agree :)

      Delete
    2. There is no doubt whatsoever that we owe a lot to our soldiers.
      But why should only ministers learn a lesson from this poem? Why can't we all learn a lesson from this poem?

      Delete
    3. very well written, great stuff

      Delete
  2. nice poem but I think you have crossed 100 word limit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was quite a powerful poem and a lovely take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant take on the prompt!
    Very powerful and heart wrenching

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, that was powerful and exquisite writing. Brilliant job. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very kind... Thanks a lor for the appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. a heartfelt salute to our heroes..loved ur tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post has been selected for the Tangy Tuesday Picks this week. Thank You for an amazing post! Cheers! Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect tribute to soldiers who sacrifice their lives to the motherland but also raises questions on war where innocent people are killed. Simply brilliant and heart felt poem, Alok:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. there are always 100 ways to avoid any war.. thank you for the appreciation :)

      Delete
  10. A brilliant poem dedicated to the soldier who thinks nothing except about his country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sleep peacefully thanks to them... glad you like it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...